Sunday, November 15, 2009

The New School

I'm still hanging in there. Definitely not training as much as I would like to these days but I'm feeling good about how consistent I've been able to hit the mat since my last post. One thing is for certain. You quickly realize how important mat time is when you feel the people you've helped train over the last few years get closer and closer to positional dominance. In fact, this weekend I rolled with a person I convinced to try BJJ two years ago and my guard was passed on several occasions. Absolute night and day.

A good friend recently opened a school in Dallas and you're going to love the name - "Tiny Killer Robot Jiu-Jitsu"... you read right. The name may sound cute but black-belt Rob Ables puts the "killer robot" in Jiu-Jitsu. Rob spends a ton of time training with the top names in Dallas and with world champion Marcelo Garcia. I've attended three classes so far and have already learned some great half-guard passes and a mean way to hit the guillotine choke MG style while in your opponent's half-guard.

I also looked back at some notes on my cardio and conditioning and I'm happy to say I've gone from dying after 5 minute rounds x 2, to rolling for 5 minute rounds x 6 with some gas left in the tank. I also feel good with control from the top using knee on belly transitions to side and full mount positions. On the downside, I've been struggling with my half-guard game. Just feels stuck. I'm looking forward to getting some input at the New School.

Congrats Tiny Killer Robot!

0 comments:

Post a Comment